PrEP, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis
PrEP is an effective HIV prevention strategy. It is an option if you do not have HIV, but feel you could benefit from being protected.
Things to Know About PrEP
- Available by prescription only
- Taken daily, as prescribed by your physician
- Treatment is most effective after 20 days of consecutive use
- Requires routine monitoring and follow-up appointments at 1 month and then every 3 months
- Include diarrhea, nausea and fatigue but should subside after about a month of therapy.
Before You Start
- It is important to discuss all medications you take with your Pharmacist including over the counter medications as well as vitamins and supplements.
- PrEP should only be used if you are HIV negative, this must supported by a recent HIV test.
To find a medical provider near you who can prescribe PrEP, go to PleasePrEPme.org
If you need help with covering copays, there are assistance programs that may help, click here.
Do you have questions about PrEP? - Let's talk, call us at 1 (619) 501-5888, Hablamos Español.